I’m going full on retro 80s today. I think it’s because OH forced me to watch Rentaghost this morning on YouTube. (It was a good programme though, wasn’t it?)
Cheese Fondue and Fries
You will need:
1) about 250g of grated cheese, preferably gruyere or Emmental.
2) a sweet potato
3) olive oil
4) tsp sugar (optional)
5) sprinkle of rosemary
6) 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
7) 2 tbsp flour
8) half a glass of White wine (the alcohol burns off when cooking, for those with children, but if you’d rather swap for milk or something similar, I believe it also works fine)
9) some grated Parmesan and nutmeg
10) things to do dip in…bread, veggies, ham, whatever you like really! We’re doing red pepper, ham, bread, asparagus and of course, the sweet potato fries.
How to Make it
1) Firstly, prepare the sweet potato fries. Pre-heat the oven to around 220c, and peel your sweet potato. Chop into fairly slender wedge shapes.
2) toss the sweet potato in olive oil, sugar (this helps caramelise them, but you can easily leave it out) and a bit of chopped rosemary.
3) Pop them in the oven for around 25-30 mins, tossing half way to get them evenly cooked.
4) Meanwhile, pop the wine and garlic into a saucepan and very gently simmer it.
5) grate the cheese and prepare the veg etc. With things like asparagus, you’ll have to pre-cook them (steaming for about 3 mins over a low heat is best)
6) toss the flour in with the cheese.
7) start adding the cheese mix to the wine, slowly and stirring all the time. Add a little milk if it feels too dry. I ended up adding quite a bit actually!
8) Et voila…serve and all get stuck in!
The fairly empty plate speaks for itself!
Total Cost: Around £5.00 in total. A bit extravagant, but well worth the treat!