I’m daring to do something a bit different today. I thought to myself…the kids like cheese, they like curry…lets mix the two!
Curried Paneer in a Tomato Sauce
You will need:
1) 227g pack of paneer, cubed.
2) 3 firm tomatoes, cut into small wedges.
3) A cup of frozen peas.
4) 150g Greek yoghurt.
5) juice of half a lime.
6) 1 tsp chilli powder.
7) 1/2 tsp cumin.
8) 1/2 tsp garam masala.
9) 1 tsp sugar.
10) 200ml water.
11) A generous handful of fresh coriander, chopped.
12) 4tbsp tomato purée.
13) 2 inches ginger, peeled and chopped.
14) cashew nuts to sprinkle on top (not for kids!)
15) rice or nan bread to serve.
How to make it:
1) Mix all the ingredients apart from the paneer, the tomatoes, the cashews and the peas, in a bowl.
2) Pour the sauce into a pan and cook gently for 5 minutes. Then add the peas and cook for another 4 minutes.
3) Stir in the paneer and tomatoes and cook for about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with cashews on the adult portions and serve!
Total Cost: About £3.50, so between the three of us, £1.18 a head roughly! I was very impressed at how easy it was to prepare as well, it only took about fifteen minutes in total!
The verdict? We all agreed that the sauce was really nice; very fresh tasting, very light, not too spicy, perfect for kids. The peas and tomatoes worked really nicely too. The only thing we were all a bit unsure of was actually, ironically, the paneer. For a fairly bland cheese, it was actually a bit over-powering. I think when making it in future, I’d opt for Quorn pieces and just a small quantity of paneer, rather than making the paneer the star of the show!