We’ve been out all day at the zoo…amazing day out but we’ve got in late and need something fast to rustle up for tea! (You know how it is, kids are hungry, it’s getting late…)
So, without any more pre-amble, here it is:
Lemon ‘Chicken’ Stir Fry with broccoli
You will need:
1) 1tbsp vegetable oil.
2) Pack of Quorn chicken pieces (small, or half a large one!)
3) 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped.
4) A large broccoli, divided into florets.
5) 200ml vegetable stock.
6) 1 tbsp flour.
7) 1 tbsp honey.
8) zest and juice of a lemon.
9) A handful of cashews (I’m leaving these off my boys’ as my eldest has a nut allergy! If you do use them for children, please be aware of the risks of choking; maybe crushing them would work?)
10) Dried wholewheat noodles.
How to make it:
1) Begin by pre-cooking the broccoli. Bring to the boil, reduce to a moderate heat and cook until softened. Drain and set to one side.
2) Meanwhile, whip out your wok (a large frying pan will do in a pinch) and heat the oil. Add the chicken pieces and fry until golden.
3) Whilst the Quorn is cooking, add the flour and honey to the stock and stir thoroughly. Pour into the wok, and add the garlic and broccoli. Cook until the sauce thickens up.
4) Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to pack instructions.
5) Lastly, add the zest and juice of the lemon, the cooked noodles and cashew nuts (if using). I am removing the boy’s portions first, then stirring some nuts through for myself and the OH.
6) And finally, serve!
Total Cost: About a pound a head.
The Verdict? Utterly delicious and a MASSIVE hit with the kids. They were a little hesitant with the broccoli, but the rest was wolfed down with great gusto! I thought it was absolutely lush; just the right combo of sweet and acidic in the flavours…I will definitely be rustling this one up again sometime!