I’ve eaten a fairly alarming amount of chocolate today, so as a result, will be rustling up something healthy for today’s dinner.
Tonight’s dish is:
Balsamic Infused Roasted Vegetables with Cheese!
(I learnt this recipe from an old book that I think was Readers Digest…but can’t remember the title, my apologies!)
You will need:
1) 1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into bite sized chunks.
2) 1 big courgette, cut into chunks.
3) 1 large red onion, cut into segments.
4) plenty of olive oil.
5) a generous pinch of dried sage.
6) 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar.
7) 100g Lancashire cheese, crumbled.
How to make it:
1) Preheat the oven to 200c and prepare your veg if you haven’t done so already.
2) Put all the vegetables in a generous roasting tray and drizzle with the olive oil and sage. Pop in the oven and roast for around 20-30 minutes, tossing every so often and checking it isn’t burning. You’ll know they are ready when the squash feels soft and everything else looks golden!
3) Take it out of the oven and sprinkle over the vinegar and cheese. Mix well, then serve immediately.
Total Cost: About £2.50, so roughly 62p per person. Bargain!
The Verdict? Not bad at all! I really liked it, but then, I’m a complete balsamic vinegar freak and love it as a flavour. DB1 was pretty pleased with it, though preferred the onion and cheese to the butternut squash and courgette. DB2 was less impressed, but he gave it a valiant attempt and tried everything on his plate.