As I’m fasting, and I’m the only vegetarian in the house, I’m rustling up a rare meaty dish. Now, I know this is a potentially controversial area; as some veggies choose to raise their kids fully vegetarian too; quite honestly, I think it’s fine either way. I choose to let my boys eat meat and then, if they want to go veggie when they are older, that will be great. (I may even be rather secretly delighted, but will try to hide it, ho ho! OH is a fairly dedicated meat fan, so no doubt he would have something to say about it…
Anyway- meat ahoy, carnivores will delight in this dish!
Creamy chicken and bacon pasta
You will need:
1) Pasta (enough for as many people as you are cooking for!) I’m using wholewheat, but white pasta is fine.
2) 2 chicken breasts (enough for one per adult is fine)
3) 200g chopped bacon.
4) A splash of white wine. (I’m using the awesome ‘Don Simon’ budget wine from Spain- just over one euro per carton…bargain!)
5) A cupful of frozen peas.
6) About 75ml double cream.
7) Some olive oil.
How to make it:
1) Start off by pre-cooking your pasta in some boiling water.
2) Whilst the pasta is cooking, heat about 2tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the chicken breasts and bacon on a fairly high heat.
3) After about 5 minutes, add about 5tbsp of wine and let it cook out on a high heat until it has nearly all evaporated.
4) Meanwhile, drain the pasta and set to one side.
5) Add the cream, peas and pasta to the chicken. Give it a good stir.
6) Cook for another few minutes. Season (I just use pepper as I hate adding salt to stuff, but it’s up to you!) and check the chicken is cooked through.
7) Serve and enjoy!
Total Cost: Expensive, due to meat content. About £6.50 in total. So, given its only for three people (though there is some leftover) it works out as a mighty £2.16 per head! Yikes! Better be worth it boys!
The Verdict? Very favourable! OH described it as ‘something he’d order in a restaurant’ and the boys ate most of theirs. Hooray! Worth the extra pennies then…