I’m on a fast day today, so I am doing what I always seem to do, and cooking up really tasty things to tempt myself horribly. (Seriously…why do I do it? I’m obviously a bit of a sadist when it comes to making my fast days as difficult as possible, ha ha!)
My boys have been very much into soups recently, so I am rustling up yet another one to please the masses. It seems that the appeal of soups is very much improved by the addition of silly names (our broccoli one was ‘Triceratops Soup’!) so I shall continue the trend.
Polar Bear/ Stegasaurus *insert own silly name here* Butter Bean Soup
You will need:
1) 2 tins of butter beans, drained.
2) olive oil
3) 2-3 carrots, chopped. (Depending on size)
4) 1 red onion, peeled and chopped.
5) Roughly a 600-750ml of vegetable stock. (Judge while cooking!)
6) A generous pinch of dried thyme.
7) 1 clove of garlic, chopped.
8) If you have it, chilli oil to drizzle on top.
How to make it:
1) If you haven’t already, prepare all your vegetables.
2) In a large saucepan, heat about 2tbsp of olive oil and gently fry the onion and garlic until soft. Then add the carrots and fry for another couple of minutes.
3) Add the beans, stock and thyme and bring to the boil.
4) Take the heat down to a gentle simmer, and cook, covered, for 20 minutes, or until the butter beans are soft.
5) Take off the heat, allow to cool slightly, then blend with a hand blender until smooth. Serve with optional drizzle of chilli oil and crusty home-made bread.
Total Cost: About £1.80 in total, and plenty leftover for tomorrow’s lunch too; so it works out as about 22p per person, per serving.
The Verdict? A bit of a thumbs-down from the boys, who pretty much refused it. Boo! OH liked it, but said that it definitely needed the chilli oil, or at least some chilli flavouring to pep it up. Perhaps chilli flakes or chilli powder would work as well, for those without chilli oil?