As some of you might have read earlier, I’ve officially banished chocolate and sweets from my life.
As a result…need some comfort food to compensate! Now!
Lentil and Sausage Stew
You will need:
1) 1 tin of lentils., drained.
2) 6 sausages (I’m adding veggie sausages as well, for me!)
3) 2 cloves of garlic, chopped.
4) 1 onion, chopped.
5) 200g portobello mushrooms, chopped.
6) 400ml vegetable stock.
7) 1/2 tsp dried thyme.
8) 1/2 tsp dried parsley.
9) A generous splash of red wine.
How to make it:
1) Start by cooking the sausages seperately on the hob. Whilst they are cooking, start frying the onion and garlic in another large frying pan.
2) Once the onions have softened, add the mushrooms, wine and the thyme and parsley. Bring to the boil, then simmer until the wine has reduced right down.
3) Once the wine has reduced and the mushrooms looked cooked, add the lentils and stock and simmer, uncovered, for around 20 minutes or so. N.b, don’t reach across and drink vegetable stock by mistake, thinking its your glass of squash. Bleugh. Wish I hadn’t done that.
4) Whilst that is happening, attend to the sausages. If they look cooked, take them off the heat and chop into sections. I keep the veggie sausages whole, so I can easily identify them!
5) In the last few minutes of simmering your lentils etc, add the sausages into the mix.
6) Serve with crusty bread!
Total Cost: With the meat sausages, about £4.50. If we’d used veggie sausages, it would have been 50p cheaper! Hee hee! So about £1.13 a head.
The Verdict? A massive thumbs up from me. That was just what the doctor ordered, and voila, my chocolate cravings have gone! It was really filling, and deliciously hearty! The boys were fairly ‘meh’ about it; they both ate the sausages but not much else. I think though, part of the issue was that they were really tired; 6:45pm is a little late for my poor lads to eat, sorry boys!