I’m doing the fast today (I like to keep it to Mondays,I don’t know why…just call me a creature of habit!) so am looking for something fairly straightforward to rustle up the boys and OH today.
So, as its my eldest’s birthday tomorrow, I’m rustling up one of his favourites, Pad Thai! I tend to do a slightly sweetened version for the kids (as they prefer it) with a teaspoon of honey, but I will just put the ‘original’ version down here, for simplicities sake.
Pad Thai- Veggie Style!
You will need:
1) A handful of Quorn pieces.
2) A bag of egg noodles, pre-cooked.
3) 1 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil.
4) 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped.
5) 1 1/2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and chopped. (I’ve got some left over from last week, hoorah!)
6) A few spring onions, chopped.
7) 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced.
8) half a lime juice. (I’m using the half left over from last week)
9) A generous splash of soy sauce.
10) A handful of coriander, chopped.
11) peanuts to garnish (don’t use with kids, and we’re certainly avoiding, because of eldest’s allergy!)
12) I often also chuck in a few ‘extras’ that need using up. Today, I’m also using tomatoes…just a few!
How to make it:
1) In a wok, start by cooking the Quorn pieces in the oil. Whilst this is going on, chop the veg.
2) Add the garlic, ginger and spring onions and stir fry for a minute or two.
3) Add the peppers and tomatoes and again, stir fry for a minute or so. Then add the noodles, soy sauce and lime juice and cook for a few minutes.
4) Serve with chopped coriander to garnish, peanuts (if using) and chilli flakes if you like an extra kick!
Total Cost: About £3.50, so, as this is feeding three tonight, £1.17 a head.
The Verdict? The boys were, as always, fairly welcoming of a noodle based dish! I personally think the honey is REVOLTING with the pad Thai flavour, but hey, if the kids like it, then who am I to argue! The flavours in a Pad Thai (though I can’t partake in it tonight) are lovely and fresh…it’s that killer lime and soy combo that does it for me!