Nobody can say I don’t spoil my boys. Meat twice in a week, eh! Luxurious living! My vegetarian sensibilities prickle at the mere thought, but I’ll overlook it, just this once. Especially as they’ll be back to Linda McCartney sausages tonight. He heh.
Saucy Bacon Toast with Caramelised Onions
You will need:
1) A few slices of bacon, depending on how many you are serving for and how meaty you want it. I recommend allowing one slice per two bits of bread.
2) 2 red onions, sliced thinly.
3) Half a tsp sugar.
4) 2 tbsp vegetable oil.
5) 2 eggs.
6) 3 tbsp single cream.
7) 4 slices of bread. White and homemade is best here.
8) 1 tbsp butter.
9) 30g grated gruyere.
How to make it:
1) Preheat the oven to 200c. Chop the onions, if you haven’t already, and gently cook the bacon until browned.
2) Whilst the bacon is cooking, in another pan, add the oil and then pour in the onions and sugar. Fry gently for ten minutes or so, to let them caramelise. Don’t do what I did and accidentally tip out the entire sugar bowl.
3) Make sure to remove the bacon from the heat when cooked and leave to one side. Then, in a bowl,mix the eggs with the cream, beating well.
4) Toast the bread lightly, butter very sparingly, then put in an ovenproof dish.
5) Mix the onions, bacon and egg mix together and pour over the bread. (Mine will be bacon free!) Grate the gruyere over the top and pop in the oven for fifteen minutes.
6) Serve with some rocket for a tasty lunch!
Total Cost? We only used two slices of bacon, and the bread was home-made, so in total, this was about £1.50. So, between three of us (DB1 is in pre-school today) it’s 50p a person. And plenty of gruyere left over for tonight’s tasty meal!
The Verdict? Myself and OH very much enjoyed it; it had a lovely rich flavour, but not too overpowering. DB2 however, dismissed it entirely. I put this down to him frantically teething at the moment…not much food is going in, full stop!