Yes, you are absolutely right, two casseroles in two consecutive nights is just a bit over-casseroley.
However, I hold firm in my assertion that you can never be too casseroley when the weather is as miserable as it is at the moment. Plus, Aldi had all sorts of offers on various vegetables, which just lend themselves perfectly to all things casserole related!
You will need:
1) 250g Halloumi, dried with a kitchen towel and cut into 1cm thick slices.
2) 1 tin of chopped tomatoes. (Nb sainsburys budget range is still cheaper than Aldi…come on Aldi, catch up!)
3) 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped.
4) 1 courgette, sliced into thin rings.
5) 1 pepper (doesnt matter what colour) deseeded and sliced.
6) 1 large onion, peeled and chopped.
7) 1 tsp sugar.
8) 3 tbsp olive oil.
How to make it:
1) Heat half the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion and garlic until soft.
2) Add the tomatoes, sugar, pepper and courgette. (Plus a sneaky splash of red wine for added oomph, if you like!) Let it simmer for around 30 minutes or so, or until it looks nice and thick and casseroley!
3) Towards the end, heat the remainder of the oil in a griddle pan or frying pan, over a fairly high heat. Add the slices of Halloumi and fry for about a minute each side, or until browned.
4) Take the veg casserole mix off the heat, add the Halloumi, stir through and serve immediately, with crusty bread.
Total Cost: About £4.20 in total. Just over a pound per person.
The Verdict? Yum! Delicious! Pleasantly different to yesterday’s as well, this one turned out quite ‘stewy’ and the strong, salty flavour of the Halloumi complemented the sweet tomato really well. The boys also got on pretty well with it; DB1 fantastically well in fact. He now likes Halloumi, and even ate four of his dreaded courgettes!