We’re veering away from pasta tonight. Two pasta laden nights on the trot have led me to believe that we need a night off!
DB1 has a mortal terror of rice, so we don’t tend to do it much…but every so often, I think to myself, ‘I’ll try it again, and see how we get on’. Last time, he actually managed to eat a few mouthfuls, which was a big step forward, believe me! Lets see how he handles it tonight…
Veggie Chicken and Rice Hotpot
You Will Need:
1) 1 bag of Quorn chicken pieces.
2) 2 onions, peeled and chopped.
3) 1 pepper, deseeded and sliced.
4) 300g whole grain rice ( white is fine, of course, I just like torturing my kids, ha ha)
5) 1.5- 2 litres of vegetable stock. (Start with 1.5 litre, then add more if it dries up!)
6) Roughly 300g carrots, sliced thinly.
7) 1 tsp paprika.
How to make it:
1) In the largest saucepan you have, heat about 4tbsp olive oil and fry the onions gently, until soft.
2) Add the Quorn and fry until browned. Just before it’s nearly cooked, add the pepper and fry for a minute or so.
3) Add the rice, and allow to cook briefly, stirring to get the rice coated in the oil, then add the stock.
Ps…when cooking, do you find yourself surrounded by things like this?
4) Add the carrots, and allow the whole thing to simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the rice is cooked. Add the paprika just before the end.
Total Cost: Around £2.50. So, about 65p per person.
The Verdict? Ha. Poor DB1. The horror was palpable on his face as I placed it in front of him. He eventually manfully chewed his way through a few morsels, before declaring he was ‘tired’ and officially making his mouth closed for business. DB2 did better. I myself found it slightly on the bland side, but a dash of pepper sauce pepped it up a treat!