As is standard on a Monday, I am fasting. So it’s that chance of the week for the men of the household to get back in touch with their cave dwelling ancestral roots and eat some MEAT.
Today, I am merging two of DB1s favourite foods into one dish. Chicken, and fruit. Lets see if it goes down well!
Fruity Chicken and Rice
You will need:
1) 2 chicken breasts (if serving 2 adults, or 1 adult plus two kids, like me!)
2) 1 small can of pineapples in juice.
3) 2 bananas, ripened.
4) 2 tbsp olive oil.
5) 200 ml vegetable stock.
6) 150g rice (I’m having to use flavoured, as I got it for cheap, but I’d advise you don’t!)
7) 1 tbsp butter.
8) 3 tbsp single cream.
How to make it:
1) Start by pre-cooking the chicken. Pop it in a roasting dish, drizzle with half the oil and roast for around 30 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, get the rice cooking. Drain the pineapple, save the juice, and add about 3 tbsp to the rice.
3) Meanwhile, meanwhile…make your stock in a saucepan, bring to the boil and allow to simmer for a few minutes, to reduce it down. Add two tbsp of pineapple juice, cook on a gentle heat for a little longer, then put to one side.
4) Meanwhile, meanwhile meanwhile, chop the bananas into lengths, dividing them lengthways once, then once more. (So you get four lengths from one banana). In a frying pan, sauté the bananas in the butter for a few minutes, until golden, then add the pineapple and cook gently for a minute or so.
5) Bring the stock back to the boil, then take the heat right down and add the cream.
6) Take everything off the heat, then arrange on your plate; rice first, then chicken, then bananas and pineapple. Pour the sauce over.
Total Cost: About £3.50, so £1.17 roughly per person.
The Verdict? The other half…approval was given. He really liked it and said it was very tasty. The boys, however, did not approve. It would seem that chicken on its own is ok. Pineapple on its own is ok. Bananas on their own, ok. All put together, offensive in the extreme. Sigh! There’s no logic to these creatures, honestly! (Maybe one for the grown ups next time…)