I’m borrowing heavily from Caribbean cooking here; which is filling and highly suitable for a brisk November evening (particularly when needing energy for an evening of work, like me!)
Veggie Sausage Jambalaya
You will need:
1) 6 Quorn sausages
2) 3 peppers, deseeded and cut into strips.
3) 1 courgette, cut into thin slices.
4) 1 red onion, peeled and chopped.
5) 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped.
6) Vegetable oil for frying.
7) 1 tsp each of oregano, thyme, paprika and mild chilli powder
8) 150g rice (not bloody flavoured rice like me, as that’s all I have…be better prepared than I!)
9) 300g veg stock.
10) Can of chopped tomatoes.
How to make it:
1) In a large saucepan, heat about 1 tbsp oil and gently fry the onion and garlic until soft.
2) Meanwhile, in a separate frying pan, cook the sausages in a little oil, according to pack instructions.
3) Add the peppers and courgette, rice, herbs and spices to the onion, stir well, then add the stock and the tomatoes.
4) Leave it to simmer for around 30 mins, or until the rice is all cooked and the veg soft. When the sausages are cooked, chop them into slices and add to the rice dish.
Total Cost: Roughly £1.60, so 40p per person. Bargain! (Benefits of Aldi shopping…)
The Verdict: Well, considering the boys aren’t too keen on rice dishes these days, not too bad at all! It was almost a bit like a more spiced up paella, nice flavours and very filling.