It would seem that, in the light of me fasting every Monday, and me being the only vegetarian in the house, that Monday has been re-named Meatday. Its when the men of this household reconnect with their rampant inner cavemen and get down with some serious carnivorous activity.
On that note, let the meat-fest commence!
Tortilla Mince Bake
You will need:
1) 250g lean mince.
2) 1 onion, peeled and chopped.
3) 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped.
4) 2 tbsp tomato purée.
5) 1 tbsp Worcester sauce.
6) 1 tbsp red wine.
7) 1tsp mild chilli powder.
8) 2tsp paprika.
9) 4 flour tortillas.
10) lots of cheese to sprinkle on top! (Around 200g min)
11) 1tbsp olive oil for frying.
12) Tin of chopped tomatoes
How to make it:
1) Heat the oven to 200c, then heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Fry the onion and garlic for a few minutes, until soft.
2) Add the mince and allow it to brown off, before adding the paprika, chilli powder, tomatoes, purée, Worcester sauce and wine. Simmer for around 15 minutes.
3) Once the mince mix has finished cooking, place the first of your tortillas in a well greased oven proof dish. Lay a third of the mince mix on top, then sprinkle with a third of the cheese.
4) Then, simply repeat, layering until the final tortilla is on the top. Then sprinkle over the top a generous spread of cheese.
5) Pop it in the oven for around ten minutes or so, then serve with a side salad.
Total Cost? Around £3.70 in total, but there is enough for four, so around 92p per portion!
The verdict? I didn’t even see the other half eat it, it disappeared within about a minute ( think that means he likes it) and DB1 also did excellently well and polished off the vast majority of his plate. DB2 was rather significantly less keen, sadly. Ah well. Can’t win em all.